Enjoy an extension of our visual magic on your phone. Click here to follow us on Instagram
Driving directions from the Twin Cities to Women’s Environmental Institute (15715 River Rd, North Branch, MN 55056)
- Take I35 North just past Forest Lake. Exit on High 8 and Turn right or east. This is the Taylor’s Falls exit. Follow Highway 8 east to Lindstrom.
- At the traffic light turn left on County Road 20 (North Lakes Trail) Follow County Road 20 north (it will turn east and become Furuby Road) for about 5 miles.
- Turn left on County Road 12 (Park Trail) . Follow County Road 12 for just over 7 miles.
- Then turn left at the entrance to Wild River State Park onto Reed Avenue (or County Road 81).
- Follow Reed Avenue North for a mile and a half.. The road will turn west (left) and become River Road. In 2.5 miles you’ll find WEI on the left side of the road. Look for the sign on the left for the Women’s Environmental Institute and “Opera Today in the Garden”
Direction via Harris and the village of Sunrise
- Drive north on I35 to exit 152, County Road 10 in Harris (This is approximately 24 miles north of the 35W / 35E junction in Lino Lakes).
- Turn right onto Stark Road (County Road 10) and follow that for 1 mile east to Harris.
- At the T intersection turn left on Forest Blvd (County Road 30 / Highway 61) and head North for about four blocks
- Turn right onto Sunrise Road (County Road 9). Follow Sunrise Road for about 7.5 miles.
- Here are some detailed directions to avoid a bridge that is out crossing the Sunrise River.
- As you approach the small town of Sunrise, look for Olson Road on your right, Turn right and head west. Look for the first left turn, 2nd Street. Turn left on 2nd street and head south. 2nd Street will come to a T intersection at County Road 88 / Wilcox Road.Turn left on Highway 88 and head east until you hit Sunrise Road / County Road 9.
- Turn right and drive a quarter mile to 410th / County Road 81.
- Turn left (east) on 410th and drive for one mile to Poor Farm Road.
- Turn left on Poor Farm Road, follow Poor Farm Road North for just over a half a mile to a T intersection for River Road.
- Turn right on River Road and head east.
- Follow River Road for about 3 miles. This is a dirt road running parallel to the St. Croix River, the Sterling Barrens State Natural Area and Wild River State Park. There will be roads entering from the South (right) including Oriole Avenue. Continue to follow River Road. Look for the sign on the right for the Women’s Environmental Institute and “Opera Today in the Garden”
$50 for beverages and world class entertainment in an intimate setting overlooking Lake Phalen.
This events supports Mixed Precipitation and their performance of the Picnic Operetta, bringing together opera, food and community to celebrate the harvest.
DATE and TIME: Tuesday August 26th, 7:30pm
A seasoned and sassy violist, John Scanlon has played in major orchestras, chamber ensembles and as a studio recording musician for over 400 major motion pictures.
The program will feature German and French Baroque repertoire by Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber von Bibern (1644 -1704), Arcangelo Corelli (1651 – 1713) and George Philipp Teleman (1681 – 1767) as well as contemporary works Marie Newman and film composer Miklós Rózsa.
He can be heard on the soundtracks for television programs such as Star Trek The Next Generation, The Simpsons and Family Guy. He also played for Titanic, Spider Man, Beauty and the Beast, Jurassic Park and over 400 other major motion pictures. John recorded with pop artists such as Barbra Streisand, Garth Brooks, Rod Stewart and Harry Connick, Jr. For several years John was a member of the orchestra for the Academy, Emmy and Grammy Awards. A former member of the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra and the Los Angeles Opera Orchestra, he played frequently with the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra.
Directions to The (former) Weequah Canoe Club
1492 East Shore Drive ,St. Paul, MN 55106
If you Map Quest the directions, you will find that the general area you are headed is North of 94/Maryland Ave, East of 35E /HW 61/Arcade, South of HW36/Frost Ave. / Larpenteur Ave., and West of White Bear Ave. /English Street.
East Shore Drive runs along the East Shore of Lake Phalen. The house shares a driveway and there is no proper entrance numbered 1492. Look for an event sign and a driveway between 1484 and 1490 and take it to its end. The garage there will say 1492 East Shore Drive. Enter up the stairs to the right of the garage.
If coming from the South, the driveway is the 5th past Arlington & East Shore Drive.
If coming from the North, it is the driveway after 1530 East Shore Drive, just around a curve south of Hoyt Ave, and after you pass the house itself on the left.
The neighbors at 1484, 1490 (on the driveway) and 1510 East Shore Drive have graciously offered their parking spaces for this event. Arrive early if you want those.
SAVE THE DATE:
A Midsummer Swig!
Buy Tickets Today!
Here are some of the operas that we like! Check out the links below to see clips and hear the music!
Don’t forget to share your thoughts on this survey!
Thank you to everyone who attended the picnic operetta this summer, we hope you enjoyed the show! We are a small professional company and receive the majority of the money we need to keep this project FREE and ACCESSIBLE through donations from people like you and grants from several generous funders. Please take a few moments to help us out:
1) “Like” us on Facebook to get the inside scoop and let your friends know about the project. www.facebook.com/MixedPrecipitation
2) Fill out an easy survey to tell us about yourself and your experience. It will take five minutes or less and help us make the case for future support. This survey is completely anonymous and voluntary, but makes a huge impact! https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2013POaudiencesurvey.
3) If you haven’t already, please consider making a tax-deductible donation to Mixed Precipitation. Cash gifts are a crucial part of keeping our artists and audiences fed for this and future seasons. Visit http://givemn.razoo.com/story/Mixed-Precipitation-S-Picnic-Operetta to learn how to make a secure payment online.
We hope to see you in the garden next summer!
Mixed Precipitation team
AGENT FIDELIO: A PICNIC OPERETTA
This 1805 opera of revolution and liberation is retold in the colorful and festive style that Picnic Operetta audiences adore. Emerging from the garden will be secret agents, covert operations and undercover antics–all mashed-up with many musical surprises and served with a sampling menu of locally-sourced bites!
August 10th Opening at Eat Street Community Garden
2412/2416 1st Avenue South, Minneapolis
August 11th Falcon Heights Community Garden
Cleveland Avenue & Roselawn Ave, Falcon Heights
August 16th Dodge Nature Center, Farm Education Center and Community Garden 7pm
1701 Charlton St, West St. Paul
August 17th Skidmore Park Community Garden
1085 E. 4th St Saint Paul, MN (East 4th Street and Earl Street)
August 18th Caponi Art Park *** 6:30 performance
1120 Diffley Road, Eagan
August 23rd JD Rivers Children’s Garden 7pm performance
2900 Glenwood Ave N, Minneapolis MN (Glenwood and North Washburn Ave.)
August 24th Loring Park Garden of the Seasons 4pm
August 25th California Street Farm 4pm
2205 California Street NE, Minneapolis
August 31st Stone’s Throw Urban Farm 4pm
September 1st Alexis Bailley Vineyard 4pm
18200 Kirby Avenue, Hastings
September 7th House of Hope Church 4pm
797 Summit Ave, St Paul
September 8th Bronx Park Community Garden 4pm
2500 Georgia Avenue at Cedar Lake Bike Trail, St. Louis Park
September 14th Women’s Environmental Institute
Farm and Orchard at Amador Hill 4pm
15715 River Road, North Branch
September 15th Swede Hollow Park 4pm
Beaumount and Drewry Lane, St. Paul
(one block from Payne Ave. and E. Minnehaha Ave.)
Picnic Operetta Seeks First Violinist, STAT!
FFI please contact Marya Hart, music director firstname.lastname@example.org
Performances August 8 through September 15
Mixed Precipitation’s Picnic Operetta, now in its fifth season, is seeking a first violinist.
We are open to subbing out or splitting the position, if a candidate has some conflicts with the performance schedule. In other words, IF YOU’RE INTERESTED AND CAN ONLY DO SOME OF THE PERFORMANCES, GET IN TOUCH!
This year’s production is a mash-up of Beethoven’s “Fidelio” and the music of reggae legend Jimmy Cliff.
We need a player with these attributes:
Strong technique and good ensemble skills. Experience in chamber groups and theatrical experience is helpful.
Improvisatory skills, familiarity with popular music and ability to make creative adaptations.
Ability to work in a changing environment. (Performances are outdoors, in community gardens throughout the metro area.)
Good leadership and interpersonal skills.
Fun-loving people who like good food, gardens and the outdoors.
August 8th FINAL DRESS 7pm
August 9th PREVIEW 7pm
August 10th 4:00
August 11th 4:00
August 16th 7pm
August 17th 4:00
August 18th 4:00
August 23rd 7pm
August 24th 4:00
August 25th 4:00pm
August 31st 4:00
September 1st 4:00
September 7th 4:00
September 8th 4:00
September 14th 4:00
September 15th 4:00
Weekly, commencing June 24
No rehearsal the week of June 30
Two rehearsals week of July 28
Tech week: band joins cast for run throughs commencing ca. Aug 4
Rachel Grise (ASL Interpreter) I graduated from the interpreting program St. Kate’s, where I had the amazing opportunity to interpret at Walt Disney World. Since then, I have worked as an interpreter in a variety of educational, religious and theatrical settings. Theater and health care have always been particular interests of mine. My family and I live in South Minneapolis.
miss scottie hall
Access Coordinator, Mixed Precipitation’s Picnic Operetta